If it wasn't for EHV-1 I might be packing up stuff and getting ready to go to Klickitat Trek. Sigh.
I would be a little nervous after Dazzby's last ride and the pull for lameness.
As it is, I have spent the majority of this week kind of sulking around, I'm pretty sure that's due to the wretched weather we have been experiencing here in Western Wa. Perusing the internet and some of my favorite blogs, it appears we are not alone in our weather misery.
My parents actually experienced a tornado last week, so I guess I really shouldn't be complaining too much! Mom and Tad are fine, and had no damage to their place, but my grandmother's neighborhood in town was torn up a bit.
Monday I went to Cathlamet to see Cartman. He has been at Shawn's for about 6 weeks and is really coming along nicely. Shawn has him so responsive and light in the bridle I almost can't believe it. He also has the nicest little QH style "whoa". I love it. I could never have gotten him this far along by myself and I'm really glad to have indulged myself by having a professional do some more training with him.
Last summer, and even last fall when I did get to ride Cartman his canter was reminiscent of a giant brown giraffe. Lumbering, shall we say? Monday I could really see improvement and the beginning of some self-carriage. I was on cloud nine all day after my ride, I CAN'T WAIT for the trails to dry out so I can get him home and out on the trail!
So, while I wait for my next ride I am pondering and planning. I really want to try a 50. After Mt. Adams I wasn't sore like I had been after Milwaukee. I think I can do it. I'm kinda nervous about my horse now though. I definately won't be doing a 50 at the Renegade Rendezvous Ride in the end of June. I hear its a pretty difficult ride, compared to some of our other rides. So, if Dazzby does well at Renegade I will be looking for the perfect ride to attempt our next goal.