Thursday, November 8, 2012

November

I haven't ridden in almost three weeks!!! Eeek, where does the time go?  First there was work troubles, then the "cough", then just as I was getting ready to bring Cartman up to the barn Sunday for a ride I noticed he had pulled one of his front shoes.  Sigh.

I knew we were on the edge with the shoes, I have him trimmed or shod every 6 weeks and he was at 8 weeks, his feet are growing like crazy (go figure?) and it's gotten muddy out in the field.  Oh, and he is turned out with his big brother- AKA "partner in crime".  They play a little.... shall we say, rough?

So, onto plan B.  I called the shoer to come out and pull the other three.  Time for some barefootin'.  C has surprisingly tough feet for a guy that goes in full pads for most of the year.  He has already adjusted to the fresh trim that was done Tuesday, but I plan on giving him a few more days- just in case.

So, this was a good time to schedule a little chiropractic treatment.  I may have mentioned in a previous post the slightly odd hitch C has at the walk.  I've never experienced anything like this with other horses.  He is completely sound.  He trots sound.  Seems to have no issues cantering or trotting.  But has an odd walk.  Maybe I'm imagining it?  Anyway, his chiro will be here soon to give him a thorough going over and re-fit my Specialized saddle.

In other news, Todd and I may head over to Madras Saturday to pick up some alfalfa.  Todd hears rumors today of outlandish hay prices headed our way.  The company he works for buys new semi tires frequently.  One tire went up over $150 in the last month.... so, everything is going to increase in price.

I have a phobia of not having good hay, so might try to get a little extra for this winter.

No comments: