Thursday, June 19, 2014

Cleared for Take-off

Cartman's Selenium results came back yesterday.  The level had come up form 85-100ppt.  This is still a marginal level but I was confused by how they had listed the levels so I called down to the vet and talked to him about it.

He gave us the go ahead to go to the ride. There are some inconsistencies in the lab results they are seeing on Se testing.  Hmmm.  Apparently a split sample was sent to UC Davis lab and came back OK.  The other half was sent to Co State and came back low. ????

I am going to look into how this test is done and what type of QC checks they are doing, just for my own curiosity.  Doc said as long as I am supplementing him to go ahead and do the ride. He has never had any issues that would even point to a Selenium problem.

Back to the matter at hand, so C got the go ahead from the vet.

I had resigned myself to not being able to go, so had stopped prepping for the ride. EEEEEK.  I raced home yesterday and grabbed C out of the field to examine his wound.

It is healing beautifully.  The scab was just starting to release a little and after we did a quick 5 mile ride most of it came off.  The underlying skin is smooth and pink and the hair hasn't started growing back yet.....

I decided to go for it.  I will present the wound at his vet- in and ask if it would be OK to use some AlumaSpray to protect it during the ride.  It is about quarter sized but only a small portion is still scabbed.

Now I am frantically trying to do laundry, get food ready, and finish packing before leaving early in the morning!

1 comment:

irish horse said...

yeah! Now getting anxious for ride story...