Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Just how badly DO you want to go to Home on the Range?

Apparently the answer to that question is "Pretty badly". 

So badly, that tonite Dazzby and I did five miles in the driving rain and finally in the dark too.

Sigh.  I worry that she isn't as fit as she was last year at this time.

 In August of last year she cut her foot open; it was a long healing process involving lots of wrapping and praying.  The cut went through the coronet, but luckily the hoof capsule was not effected and the hoof grows out normally.  Consequently she had from August until January 15th completely off. 

She's not one to "overwork" herself turned out in pasture, so by January she was pretty much a gigantic, hairy, brown marshmallow.

So, now I worry.  I really want to go, but only with a horse fit enough to enjoy the ride.

I think I'll take her out this weekend and do our 11 mile loop, complete with really LONG hill in the middle.  I will feel confident that if she can complete this without problem she will be fit enough to do a really slow HOTR in five weeks.



Who wouldn't want to go here?

Home on the Range is near Washtucna, Wa. Over on the dry side!

This is the Palouse Valley

I can't wait!

6 comments:

HHmstead said...

Lets hope for the kind of weather that we had on ride day last year!

CG said...

Amen to that! I was kinda worried about going over there so early in the year but it turned out great.
What distance are you planning on?

AareneX said...

I'm doing the "fitness worry dance" now, too. Want to do the 50 at HOTR...!

CG said...

Well from the photos you've posted lately Fiddle really looks to be in wonderful condition!
I think I am going to take my GPS and consciously try and take the full time allowed, and try and get off and walk a little more than I usually do.
I finally broke down and bought a new rowing machine so I can train regardless of weather now!
Too bad those equine treadmills and swimming pools are so expensive :)

HHmstead said...

I'm doing the 50, weather Gods permitting. I need to get the steps to the "fitness" dance! :-0

Rising Rainbow said...

I'm with you on the equine pools and treadmills. This weather is killing me on getting my horses worked.