Monday, January 2, 2012

Two a Week

Rides that is.   Since Christmas we've upped to two times a week.  I plan on continuing this until C's shoes go back on in the end of January.

Saturday (New Year's Eve) we headed out solo for a little ride in the sand.  These sand rides have to be pretty short unless his feet are up to hitting the 5 mile jogging trail (they weren't this week). 

So we did a ten minute warm up walking.  I'm practicing on the neck reining, stopping, backing, and standing.

The next ten minutes were spent trotting and doing small segments of canter.   I am really hesitant to do too much canter in this footing as I have suspiscions that it might cause hock troubles down the road.  Nonetheless we got a little canter in, and since it is quite deep it was a good aerobic workout.

Lastly we spent 10 minutes walking under saddle and exploring some new areas of the dredge spoils before going back to get a cooler and sheet and doing a bit of grazing.  We were home within an hour this day.

New Years Day was a day of rest and wishing the horses Happy Birthday.  Lots of treats were consumed, for them, and me as well.

Today Jan 2 Michelle and I headed down to the local arena for some arena work.

Cartman and I practiced our walk/trot/canter, neck reining and roll backs (at the walk), and LOTS of transitions.  Cartman is doing well and starting to go nice and round at the trot.  The canter is a somewhat different story.  He does pretty well, for a young long legged dude, but its not what I would call collected, at all.  I pretty much have been concentrating on just getting him nice and forward and ignoring the "giraffe neck" and the flat gait.  The rest will come later, I hope!

The new dog Bo, is doing great here!  Although he is a little "off" on his left front.  I thought he just got stepped on, (he is somewhat underfoot) but yesterday it really seemed to be bothering him.  He has taken to sitting and doing this pitiful whine.  I don't know if he is in pain, or just being needy and obnoxious?  I thought pain at first, but today he seems to feel fine- he will run and play outside.  But here he goes again with the whining while he's sitting next to me.  Perplexing.  I have made a vet appointment for Thursday, hopefully they will be able to tell me what is going on.

Pinky is doing well turned out, her foot is good, except for a little worry about the bit of tissue protruding from the slit at the top.  I will try to attatch a photo.  I fear it might be some proud flesh.  I emailed pics to the vet Friday, but sent them from work so I can't get into that email until tomorrow to see if he's replied.  We may be heading back to the clinic for them to check it out though.

Happy New Year to all!!!!

1 comment:

HHmstead said...

Try some caustic powder on that bit of flesh?
You're ahead of me on saddle time!